domingo, 2 de junho de 2013

Mexican "Grilled" Corn - A Great Summer Side Dish


Mexican Grilled Corn Ć  la Cooks Illustrated

Summer is nearly here, and fresh corn on the cob will be beckoning us to enjoy its plump, sweet kernels. I love corn on the cob, and it wasn't until a year or two ago that I came to enjoy the splendor of corn fresh from the field. Madison Street Produce runs a farm stand just a hop-skip from our home, and their produce is picked fresh daily.

Madison Street's corn was a revelation! So delicate and sweet, with kernels that burst forth at the lightest touch. This was the complete opposite of corn that I grew up eating -- kind of tough kernels with moderate corn-fresh flavor. I dubbed Madison's corn, "crack from the field," not to be confused with "crack from the oven," aka, Momofuku Milk Bar's Crack Pie.

Fresh corn; cilantro, garlic and lime

Evidently, I have some sort of crack fixation... :)

In any case, I want to share with you my Mexican  "grilled" corn, adapted from Cooks Illustrated's fantastic recipe. I use quotes around "grilled" because I cheated and used my stove to attain the char marks you see. I will say that it's worth it to grill the corn properly because my attempt to imbue some flavor through this method did not work. The stove-top treatment made it look grilled (kind of), but it didn't impart any of the wonderful smoky flavor you would get from the coals.



Dishy Goodness Mexican "Grilled" Corn
(adapted from Cooks Illustrated )

1/4 cup Vegenaise (feel free to substitute regular or light mayonnaise; we just like Vegenaise a lot more)
3 TB sour cream
3 TB minced fresh cilantro leaves
1 medium garlic clove, minced or pressed
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
4 tsp juice from 1 lime
1 oz grated Cotija cheese (it's worth it to find this cheese instead of substituting something like Pecorino)
6 large ears of corn, husks and silk removed

Instructions
Cook corn per your favorite method - boiling water; microwave; etc. Just don't overcook it.
**EDIT: If you plan on grilling your corn, the directions are a little different. PM me at donna {at} dishygoodness {dot} com, and I can send you the recipe for either charcoal grilling or gas grilling. Just let me know which method you prefer. :) **

In a large bowl, combine Vegenaise, sour cream, cilantro, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon chili powder, black pepper, cayenne, lime juice and cheese. Check seasoning for desired flavor.

Place cooked corn directly over stove flame, turning regularly with tongs to achieve char marks. Remove to platter when done.

Add charred corn to mixture and toss to coat evenly. Serve immediately. I like to provide additional lime wedges with the corn.
+++

0 comentƔrios:

Postar um comentƔrio